Value-Based Healthcare (VBHC) is providing a holistic approach that delivers best outcomes for patients, healthcare staff, providers and society in a cost-effective way. Here we look into how this system could be applied in the area of diabetes.
- People with diabetes: we want to ensure the latest technology and best treatment options get to people with diabetes so that their quality of life is improved and their clinical outcomes are better.
- Governments: we want to refocus governments on the longer-term to ensure holistic diabetes management, ultimately seeing them shift budgets from complications management toward prevention management and generating better patient outcomes.
- Buyers: we want people buying diabetes technology to accept that, in diabetes, paying less does not always equate to lower cost.
- HCPs: we want to allow doctors, nurses, pharmacists and families to be able to make better decisions, feel less stressed and cope better with this long-term, chronic condition
- Our industry: we want to ensure business remains viable, able to invest in research and innovation as we and others work to minimise the burden of diabetes management
Did you ever wonder how medical technology in diabetes care advanced over time? Watch here:
Value-based healthcare could improve the lives of people living with diabetes
Better diabetes management can be achieved through a stronger political will, a change in the way we invest in chronic diseases, a change in our health system to prioritize value and a better understanding of technology.