Open letter to the Members of the European Parliament on the importance to sustain EU progress in fighting against antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
Posted on 12.09.2019
AMR is a major and complex public health threat that requires concerted efforts, involving all stakeholders. AMR is estimated to be responsible for 33,000 deaths per year in the EU alone and 700, 000 deaths per year globally, including 230,000 deaths from multidrug-resistant tuberculosis. It has been calculated that the extra healthcare costs and productivity losses due to multidrug-resistant bacteria in the EU total €1.5 billion each year. AMR is also a threat to animals, as it can cause health and welfare problems.
The undersigned civil society organisations and stakeholders believe in the need for cooperation to sustain continued and targeted EU action to address AMR. Like many significant healthcare challenges, no single actor has the answer and wide-ranging stakeholder collaboration is needed to tackle AMR. It is only through concerted action across all sectors and stakeholders that effective solutions can be found. In other words, taking a One Health approach, as recognised by the European Commission in its 2017 European One Health Action plan against AMR.
MedTech Europe highlights the importance of supporting research and development of rapid diagnostics and medical devices throughout the patient pathway to prevent and control antimicrobial resistance.
The European Parliament has an important role to play in ensuring that the EU remains on the front line of the global battle against AMR.
MedTech Europe and the signing organisations look forward to working with the Members of the European Parliament to sustain EU progress in fighting against AMR.
Signing organisations (in alphabetical order)
- Active Citizenship Network – Cittadinanzattiva
- Biomedical Alliance in Europe (BioMed Alliance)
- European Federation of Nurses Associations (EFN)
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- European Patients’ Forum (EPF)
- European Platform for the Responsible Using of Medicines in Animals (EPRUMA)
- Federation of European Academies of Medicine (FEAM)
- International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
- Federation of Veterinarians of Europe (FVE)
- Health First Europe
- Medicines for Europe
- MedTech Europe
- Pharmaceutical Group of European Union (PGEU)
- TB Alliance
- European Union of Private Hospitals (UEHP)
- Vaccines Europe